Sunday, February 3, 2008

Superbowl Extravaganza: Tom Petty Breaks Hearts, or something

First of, let me say it was nice of Tom Petty to shave for the event. I guess he's auditioning for the role of Cousin It for the next go round of The Addams Family.

Something interesting: If you want to see Tom Petty and his Heartbreakers play in the Washington DC Area, you're gonna have to pop $45 + service fees to sit on the lawn. I dunno about you, but that seems steep. Very steep. I think they'll come down.

I especially like that fans at home can play Guitar Hero along with the Heartbreakers.

Tom's voice sounds strange. Not bad, but maybe too melodic for him.

Where's the FCC? Did he just say, "I'm free... freeballing?" If Janet Jackson having her nips on display is fine worthy, I'm sure the Tom Petty Underwear Situation merits at least a stern talking to.

Tom Petty (with and without the Heartbreakers) has 26 highlight songs, according to the geniuses at allmusic.com. Since we've all heart Free Fallin 8 bazillion times by now, and it's not really that great a song, couldn't we have traded it for Refugee, Breakdown, You Got Lucky, Don't Come Around Here, or Stop Draggin My Heart Around? Would anyone mind.

I hope he gets off after Running Down a Dream. Best song he did, he should leave on a high note (unless he's gonna do Refugee).Do you need a clearer picture? I don't.

Last thought: Considering the amount of TV I consume, you'd think I'd own a very large HDTV. You'd be very wrong. If you're curious to know why, aside from a general reluctance to have to bring it in past the wife who would give me that look for a microsecond, and not have a problem with it, but I still feel guilty buying stuff, it's because of events like the Superbowl Halftime, the Local News and CSPAN. There are some things that a blurry picture is better for. Tom & The Heartbreakers and nearly everyone in Congress, better in blur.

One more thought: Who knew they were still making new King of the Hills?

No comments: